[DML] Re: Carburator (David T)

With EFI, in order to fix your car you need to hook it up to a
computer in order to find out what's wrong. That means you first have
to get your car to the computer-if it is in a shop they charge you to
just hook it up and then more to read the readings. As Bill mentioned,
carburetion is simple. We all know it has been around far longer then
EFI so the technology has already been fully studies, understood, and
the improvements to the carburetor have already been made. Meaning:
The Holley carburetor is much more improved then the Stromberg
downdraft, Holley studied the problem areas of the old carbs to
engineer a new one. Instead of rods, valves, springs etc-in EFI you
have a computer controlling everything, meaning modules, tons of
wires, much more components, more of something means the more chance
you have of failing. When my 67 Mustang doesn't start, I know why,
when my fathers 2004 Ford Ranger doesn't start...forget trying to
figure out why-call the tow truck. Ultimately, the little group of us
trying to experiment with carburetion want it for those reasons:
simple, costs very little, easy to maintain, opens up all kinds of
room, easily tunable, and the list goes on. Car companies with FI
wanted to use technology with the chips and etc,  and to make it easy
for the owner to maintain-don't have to touch the engine-instead of us
who have to go out in the winter and adjust the choke and accelerator
pump rod down a hole-big deal. The companies don't care that come
20-30 year the FI system will be very troublesome and costly to
replace, but then again; they're not thinking about the long run,
especially now that they're making these disposable cars. A 60 year
old car built to LAST? Buy (or better yet-REBUILD for 20 mins) and
install a new carb-you're all set. How much does EFI cost these days?
-----Dani B. #5003