Re: [DML] DMC nation of origin Was: DMC to be in a new PS2 game

Re: [DML] DMC nation of origin Was: DMC to be in a new PS2 game

In answer to your question about Daimler-Chrysler, that's a great case
where the lines are blurred due only to the fact that Chrysler was an
American company for so long.  When it merged with Daimler, I remember a
lot of people asking that same question.  I think it comes down to the
reason for classifying the national heritage of a car.  In our case,
it's a matter of grouping video game cars together by a common thread.
I would wager a guess that the overwhelming majority of people who care
would consider any Chrysler product an American car in this setting,
just because it's much more comfortable to do so and there's no real
harm in the misclassification by technicality.  Obviously, if we were
asking for tax or legal purposes, it would have to be considered more
seriously.

This next part is partially my opinion:

The only case where I would consider the source of funding a factor in
this matter is if the government in question financed 100% of the
venture, making the car manufacturer not only based in the country, but
making the government itself the effective manufacturer of the car.  In
the case of DMC, there were many private financiers too, and there is no
clearly obvious way to determine the car's nation of origin based on
that (a geographic average of each financier's headquarters?)  I just
think it's a grey area in the convention, and as such, might just as
well be discounted as needless complications.

If I understand the story correctly, the British government had no
financial ownership of DMC at its inception.  By 1982, I think they
controlled the company.  So, by your logic, does this mean that the
early and late model DMC-12's have different nations of origins?  Again,
we have to ask why we care, and what factors are important in the realm.

I do agree that it really isn't an open and shut case, and I'd be
interested to hear everyone's opinion as well.

Regards,
Jon Heese