Re: [DML] Question about the Oxygen sensor and Bosch adjustment

Re: [DML] Question about the Oxygen sensor and Bosch adjustment

Some explanation (references turned around for our backwards oriented
engines):

The two shear head screws Martin mentions are balancing screws for the
manual idle speed circuit. They balance air to the driver's (middle
screw) and passenger (rearmost screw) cylinders. Until the foremost
most screw is opened they have no effect.

The slotted head screw he mentions lets air into the manual circuit.
However much air it meters is then routed to either side of the engine
according to settings of the shear head screws.

There's an annotated diagram on Page D:01:13 of the Workshop Manual.

These brass screws are built into every K Jetronic PRV. Many DeLorean
owners view them as "forbidden", but Peugeot, Renault, and European
Volvo make active use of them (only on 1981 & later North American F
series were the balancing screws "shear head" style -- designed to be
intentionally snapped off). In fact for many vehicles they are the
only means of idling the engine. My adjustment method differs somewhat
from Martin's, but I fully support his willingness to use the manual
idle speed circuit.

Except for their shear heads, balancing screws are identical to the
metering screw -- anyone using this circuit may want to replace them
with metering screws for easier adjustment (or simply get a complete
set of non-shear head screws from a 1980 & earlier junkyard car).

Word of caution: O rings on these screws may be shrunken and dried
out. If you're going to open them, I'd recommend replacing the O rings
to avoid a potential vacuum leak.

Bill Robertson