From: Dave Sontos [mailto:dsontos@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 9:34 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [DML] More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)

First off only perform vacuum checks when the engine is at full operating
temperature.

With the engine off move the throttle slightly open and you should hear the
idle speed switch click closed. If you don't hear it click you may have to
adjust the screw on the throttle arm to engage the switch at the throttle
closed position. This switch shuts off the vacuum to the distributor at
idle. Correctly adjusted the engine idle should reduce to the 750-950 RPM
rate when the switch is engaged.

Check the ignition timing. It should be close to 13 degrees.

When was the last time the engine had a complete tuneup? (sparkplugs,
distributer cap, spark plug wires, rotor, replaced fuel injectors)

The vacuum line coming from the rear of the left side of the intake manifold
goes under the intake manifold to a thermo vacuum switch where it
distributes vacuum to the CPR and the distributor. At engine temperatures
below 104 degrees F the vacuum switch is open to the CPR valve to provide
fuel enrichment to the cold engine.

Dave Sontos
Vin 02573