Re: [DML] More thoughts on rust

In a message dated 1/9/05 12:28:50 PM, michaelbarth@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> < But if the Delorean frame is somehow more prone to rust, then I'm
> definitely concerned about my winter driving habits. >

Mike:

The DeLorean like all cars should be driven.

I brought my DeLorean with the purpose of it to be a daily driven car.    I
live in the heart of NYC and I brought my car in Detroit in 1996.   On my first
maiden voyage home, I drove it in the snow and rain nonstop except for gas
fill up.    I enjoyed that drive that day/night which taught me how the DeLorean
behaves in such weather conditions.   Since then I have put on close to
100,000 miles on it.    I also have driven my DeLorean in all the different seasons
whether it was a short hop or on the many the long trips interstate.    My
DeLorean has been through rain, sleet, snow and etc, including very hot and
humid days.   As a matter of fact, I have just driven my DeLorean in the snow just
two weekends ago.   The only problems that I experienced are with the tires
in the dealing with the snow and the NYC potholes (sinkholes).   The tires that
I present have are the Michelins and they are my fourth set of tires.   They
are better then Yokohomas (I had two sets and they are terrible in the snow),
Dunlops (not too bad) and NCTs (too old and didn't have them long enough to
tell).

As far as the frame rusting, it is part of the wear and tear that comes with
it usage and age.   The salt will be an earlier demise for the mild steel
frame but everyone has to understand that as long as the parts are available and
there are competent people to repair them and there are all the DeLorean
Vendors to support it.   The only problems are that it maybe a hassle in dealing
with it or one's budget doesn't SUPPORT the way the car is being used.   So,
unless one wants to keep the frame as âoriginal,â then they will be right as to
put their cars away in storage for the winter.

I had replaced the front sections of my frame twice, by PJ Grady due to rust.
  If I find that some part of my frame needs replacement at the present.... I
will just do it.   If the frame is beyond repair and it needs another one, I
will get another frame ..... Or may be I will just replace it with the
Stainless Steel Frame by Pearce?   Then maybe I will replace the engine with the high
performance by DMHC at the same time?

Anyway, I will keep driving as I normally would, as to enjoy the
DeLorean..... Oh yes, BTW... I am going to PJ Grady this week to get the angle drive
change for the fourth time!   It died on me yesterday on the way home.   Now that
is a part that STILL needs to be address with a better one.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY