[DML] Re: More thoughts on rust (Thin Sheet Metal)

[DML] Re: More thoughts on rust (Thin Sheet Metal)

Any anti-corrosion system has a finite life. Even a galvanized frame
will eventually rot after the zinc corrodes away. All paints have a
finite lifetime, epoxy being a little better has a longer life. In any
case once the protections' lifetime is exceeded you can expect the
base metal to be unprotected. I have worked on all kinds of cars and
many didn't have ANY protection! That makes any survivors even more
valuable, most others have long since dissolved. Cars from the 60's
and 70's are especailly bad, the metal got thinner and thinner and the
protection got less and less. The disposable mentality, you traded the
car in anyway after 3-5 years so who cared! One of the failings of
epoxy is when it fails it seems to accelerate the corroison by
trapping moisture against the metal when it cracks. Probably the
"best" thing to do is remove all of the epoxy, replace any damaged
metal, and hot-dip galvanize the frame. This would add some weight.
Another idea would be to use a rust-inhibiting primer like POR-15. In
any case since the lifetime of the epoxy is over the thing to do would
be to remove it and replace it with something else. The frame is not
the only thing susceptible to rust. Brake lines, hardware, the
headlight boxes, brake cables, etc are all damaged by corrosion. The
bottom line here is if you want your car to last a long time you won't
drive it when the roads are salted. In the salt belt most people that
drive fancy cars park them for the winter and use a "beater" for the
winter months. The convertable (and the Delorean) is saved for the
NICE weather.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757