AW: [DML] Re: Rich W. hovercraft

Hey, why not ?

I am sure the Delorean can fly, but when I saw the axial fan I was sure it
wouldn't do it because an axial fan can't produce enough pressure to lift
the car.
Especially when it is built like the crap they did at the show. Nothing
planned
or calculated. Just hammered together like crap ! Ask Don, that's what he
said - more
or less.

I did some tests lately with some fans - axial and radial fans. With two
radial
fans and about 160 Watts I was able to lift up a boy with about 110 pounds.
(No rotation of the whole test-hoverboard aaahm hovercraft )

With 3 axial fans and about 250 Watts I was only able to lift up about
20...30 pounds.
(extreme rotation of the whole thing). (of course everything depends also of
the
rotor and the area below the board that is pressurized....)

This means they had the totally wrong fan / rotor for the hovercraft. Axial
fans
are only good for acceleration and steering, not for lifting it up - they
produte
not enough pressure.

I'd say - Rich, do your homework and go for it. Don has many old fiberglass
chassis
laying around, perhaps more than he will ever restore. Once the whole thing
is strong enough to lift up without any problem, you can put on the SS
parts,
they are not too heavy.
One engine in the front to lift the car and one in the rear to propel/steer
it.
You won't need two engines to lift it (front and rear...) beause the
pressure is
the same !

Go for it.

Elvis

The Monster Garage episode with the hovercraft DeLorean did not sit well at
all with many
DeLorean owners....
Yes, a DeLorean could be modified into a hovercraft. It could be done.
Rich, please. For the sake of nothing else, but to let sleeping dogs lie,
let it go.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"