Re: THREE SUBJETS RUST SPOTS AND SHIFTER BOOT AND MANUAL SHIFTER FIXED

Re: THREE SUBJETS RUST SPOTS AND SHIFTER BOOT AND MANUAL SHIFTER FIXED

John - I got some feedback from my metallurgist regarding this
question ... you're going to love the answers. There are basically
three chemical methods for removing residual iron in 304 CRES.
Method 1 - Nitric acid solution of 3 ounces nitric acid in 1 liter of
water. With rubber gloves, apply the solution to the areas where the
iron particles are, using a sponge. Take care not to damage any
surrounding parts with the acid solution. After rinse, neutralize
with a baking soda bath. Rinse again, very thoroughly. (This method
is not for the faint of heart). Method 2 - Use modeling clay to form
a dam around the affected areas, about 1 inch high. Cover entire
area inside the dam with Coca Cola (Classic would be best). Keep wet
for approximately 8 hours. Rinse off, and give a baking soda bath.
Repeat rinse. Method 3 - Apply Naval Jelly to affected areas per
label instructions. Follow instructions for removal and rinsing. The
key here is that some acids will aggressively remove the iron,
without damaging the 304 CRES. The Coca Cola and Naval Jelly have
phosphoric acid, and the nitric acid is obvious. I understand that
the Naval Jelly would work best in this application because of the
vertical surfaces that are probably affected. I hope this helps.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Podlewski <john_podlewski@xxxx>
wrote:
> Question on rust, years ago when I bought my Delorean I used steel
wool to polish the car, as I was told, I didn't know any better.
Needless to say, now I'm left with steel rust spots embedded in my
hood, fenders and other panels (NOT PRETTY). It cleans up nice, but
comes back 3-4 months later. Is there any way to rid of this problem
FOREVER????? Or am I screwed!!