Re: [DML] The DOA, DW, & more

I think YOU'RE forgetting the initial intent of the DeLorean car Randy :-).The end advertizing scheme of the DeLorean being the car for "the bachelorwho's made it!" really had nothing to do with what John originally intended for the car. Remember just a few short years before it FINALLY rolled offthe assembly line, the car was supposed to cost $12k (thus the DMC-12 name), and that put it in a cheaper price bracket than even the Corvette. It was supposed to be an all American "ethical" (ie- affordable, long lasting, etc.) sports car. By the time the DeLorean finally emerged, it cost nearly DOUBLE of what a Corvette did, and many dealers were listing the car at prices close to TRIPLE that initial target price of $12k. I don't think it's because John wanted to purposefully move the car upmarket, but instead because he was forced to by fluctuations in the dollar and pound, rising development, production, and labor costs, lack of funds from backers pulling out etc etc etc. John just got hit from every possible side and the only way to get people to buy his car, and continue investing in the company was to toutthe car as an exclusive experience. What the heck else were they going to do? The car didn't outperform any other car in it's "class," (I still arguethe car is really in a class of it's own because it's so unique it just can't be lumped together with other cars) and even cars in lower classes could outperform it in almost every faction barring sex appeal. Even Motor Trend disputed that.

All of this aside, I think you're misinterpreting my opinion of the DOA, and don't want anyone to think I'm denouncing their relevancy. I completely and totally agree with them on many issues. I'm so glad they're out there asa conservative force urging owners to think of their cars as classics and to keep them original as possible. I don't know where the DeLorean marque would be today without the DOA either. There were dark periods in the '80s when the DOA was the only support structure out there for owners. That said I feel like many others that it's unfortunate that the DOA choses to ignorethe reality of current DeLorean owners. $72 for four flimsy magazines withunderwhelming content is just craziness. Maybe they have foresight though... maybe the car will once again be a playtoy for the upper crust, and theycan say to all of us "I told you so!" But at this moment in time the I just don't feel the DOA represents the masses.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12@xxxx> wrote:
I've read many negative comments over the past few years on the mailing list and abroad about the DOA. I have been a member myself for 10 years +, and have no intention of leaving, as many have done.