[DML] Re: Using Home Equity To Buy A DeLorean

[DML] Re: Using Home Equity To Buy A DeLorean

Every car I own is at least 20 years old. They ARE my daily
transportation.

And remember: this thread started with "Scooby's" desire to purchase a
DeLorean, not a 2004 year model from the Big 3.

The portion of home equity represented by appreciation is the easiest
asset a person will ever accumulate. But if all he or she does is wait
for the gain on a future sale, it is a very lazy asset. It is not
working one bit in the interim.

Faced with the choice between a high interest, non tax deductible,
short term loan secured by my DeLorean itself or a low interest, tax
deductible, indefinite term loan secured by a very small portion of my
home equity, of course I chose the latter. It would have been silly
not to. And financially counter productive. My net interest rate is
3%. I can pay for the car as quickly, or as slowly (30 year term), as
I want. And considering nothing more than my home's appreciation --
the DeLo is secured by a mere fraction of even that.

Bill Robertson