Re: Frozen then broken

My spindle cable unwound rather messily inside the spindle (destroyed
the square interface on the plastic wheel disc). Slightly different
problem, but the end result was the same as yours: intact and properly
functioning right angle gears had no way to rotate from the wheel.

If you opt to keep the angle drive, you now have two options:
-replace the damaged cable altogether
-splice a repair onto the damaged cable

The only way to remove the remaining spindle cable is to remove the
steel plate pressed and staked into the angle drive housing (it is
inserted from that end). Because that housing is only made of old pot
metal, I was very leery of stressing it and opted to splice a repair
onto the remaining cable.

This is how I did it:
-The damaged cable was cut at good windings
-Those windings back into the angle drive were soldered to prevent the
same problem in the future
-A short piece of 1/8" square bar was soldered to the the cut cable. I
used a close fitting piece of tension coil spring, pulled VERY
slightly apart, to hold the bar to the cable and to reinforce the solder.
-The damaged wheel disc was cut and tapped to recieve a piece of
threaded rod. This rod is permanently attached to the disc with a fan
lock washer and two jamb nuts.
-The other end of the threaded rod (inside the spindle) was filed
square. A piece of 1/8" hollow channel was soldered to that end.
-The square bar at the end of the spindle cable slides into the square
channel at the end of the threaded rod.
-I insert my angle drive as two pieces: the original housing and
remaining cable are inserted from the rear; the wheel disc and
threaded rod are inserted from the front; both pieces are mated inside
the spindle.

This repair has survived trips to Atlanta, Washington, and New Jersey.
I am confident it will be long lived.

Bill Robertson