Re: Swaying

> I'm having difficulty explaining exactly what the car does. Let's
put
> it this way: It no longer steers squirrely. It's more like...once
in
> a while, when you hit a shallow dip in the highway as the car is at
> the high point in the bounce (weightless?), the rear feels like
it's
> making some minor side-to-side movement. When the car settles, all
is
> well. I must be making some headway. It's not as bad as it was for
> sure.
>
> Rich A.

Hi Rich.

Your car is exhibiting "bump steer". You can look it up on the
internet. It's caused by a change in direction that the wheels point
as the wheel moves up or down through it's suspension travel, or an
assymetry in the frame or suspension, or other things. It could be
as simple as a bad alignment (just because the car doesn't pull to
one side or the other doesn't mean it's right) or as subtle as a
bent frame which is putting more weight on some wheels than others.
Since it's not a common complaint to Delorean owners in general, it's
a good guess there's something wrong with your alignment.

It can be very difficult to diagnose and eradicate. I had to do it
on my car, and it took about 10 iterations.

One thing to look for right off is rear toe out. If your alignment
guy accidentally pointed the wheels outwards too much, it doesn't
take much, the stability of the suspension is decreased. You might
consider asking your alignment person what alignment specifications
were used on your car.

Good luck.