RE: [DML] Re: Brakes - Why You Should Do Preventative Maintenance

RE: [DML] Re: Brakes - Why You Should Do Preventative Maintenance

You are correct about the preventative maintenance Rich....
I guess the point of my letter was that:

Most of us newbies who have bought cars recently don't know the complete history.
Most of these cars have been kept and stored by the original owners with very moderate driving.
My car was well kept and driven about 1000 miles per year.
It looks perfect, and runs great.

According to John Hervey, (who of course is trying to sell me something) has so far
always been right about what he tells me.
I listen to his pitches with the typical skepticism that any consumer would, but so far
he is always dead on the money.
He told me that everyone does the same type of thing, they think they can just replace
the pads or do a rebuild kit... but every set of core calipers he gets back have rust inside,
and are loaded with gunk.
I think the percentage of people who actually do a brake flush at all ever is very small.
I have owned my Taurus for 6 years, with 80K miles, and I don't think I have ever even
added any fluid to it! They are fine. (for now).

My point of the letter is, if you are a new owner of the car, or the original...
and the calipers have never been rebuilt or replaced then to plan on it.
It only costs less than $200 for all new rebuilt calipers (from John anyway) and they
are easy to change out.
Unless you have all the tools needed to do a complete rebuild where you can use a Dremmel
to remove the inside surface rust, and a bead blaster to clean all the outside rust...
that is if you can get the piston out of the caliper in the first place!
For $89 each, there is no way I would go through all that crap.
It is better to just buy them!
John tells me that I should also plan to replace the rubber lines with stainless steel braided
lines because the summer heat will make the rubber lines expand and cause the brakes to be mushy. ..... and the master cylinder will eventually go out too and to plan to replace it.

There are certain things I have learned about these cars.
If you want to have one as a reliable daily driver, you must replace the entire brake system,
the cooling system and most of the electrical system.
If you just do it all at once you wouldn't even need this list to help you with all these
goofy problems one after the other.
...that is of course if you can afford it!

These are big boys toys after all.
You have to pay to play.
- Videobob
VIN# 5278