[DML] Re: DeLorean speedometers: A new approach

[DML] Re: DeLorean speedometers: A new approach

If you are trying to save the $60-120 for an angle drive you won't
come out ahead. If the angle drive is maintained properly (BIG if)
they actually hold up quite well.

BMW has been using electrical speedos driven from an impulse sensor
in the differential since at least the mid-1980s. Problem with any of
this is the complexity and calibration of the mod. You need to change
the gauge in the dash, find a pickup point etc. And have it come out
not looking hacked up.

If you are doing this for the "something cool/different" factor,
here's another idea. The electronic speedo gauge in a late 80-s 3-
series BMW is about the same size as the DMCs, and the pickup is
mounted in the bottom of the differential. No clue how much of this
is interfaced via the vehicle's computer, but in an 80s car it should
not be too bad. Nice thing is that they are 6-digit odometers too.

The most common place to mount an electrical impluse sensor on the
DMC (often for cruise control) is to put a magnet on the inner CV
joint and attach a bracket for the sender to the transmission.

Dave S