Re: Swaying

It sounds like you may need a 4 wheel alignment. It is not that easy
to just replace rusted metal. Especially around suspension and
steering components, positioning is CRITICAL. Some of the alignment
parameters are not adjustable so if the frame is repaired incorrectly
you cannot adjust for it. When you say the car is trying to "climb out
of the lane" sounds like "Bump Steer" and is directly related to
alignment or the lack thereof. The back should be solid with no
perception of sway. This can be alignment, tires, tire pressure, worn
bushings, etc. You should get the car to a good shop that is capable
of doing a 4 wheel alignment on a modern electronic machine. The
operator must be experienced with it. If the alignment specs are not
in the database they can be manually input. You should have the
alignment procedure and specs with you when you go. If the tires are
questionable or old you should consider replacing them. At the very
least they should be removed from the car and spin balanced so you
know they aren't bent or out of balance. You should check the tire
pressures yourself, shops are notorious for never getting the air
pressures right. Find out where the towns send their vehicles to be
done. Usually the shops that the towns send the police cars and
ambulances to is among the best around.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757