MANUAL SHIFTING (5spd)

Questions on manual shifting adjustment--having trouble shifting. My problem is I can not shift into 1st and reverse without Great trouble, less than half the time but the rest of gears shift fine including 5th, which is a big problem.
However, if I change my adjustment on the two nuts on the adjusting cable only by one thread (to touchy if you ask me) than 1st and reverse shifts fine but it simply will not go in 5th gear, it seems there is no middle ground. Hope I didn't confuse anybody there. Right now Iv'e adjusted my Delorean so that it shifts into fifth gear but not very smoothly and 1st seems fine but it only goes into reverse about 30% of the time (ALOT OF FORCE) when it does not go into reverse it behaves as it is in 2nd gear, because I guess it is!

By the way, it does not seem to matter if the car is running or not. Problem started after transmission was installed by previous mechanic (don't know what he did-see previous post, It's taken me two months to get this far from his mistakes.
ANY SUGGESTIONS??? SEEMS SIMPLE TO FIX BUT ADJUSTMENT IS NOT WORKING!!!