Oil filters and anti-drainback valves (was Re: [DML] The Motor Oil Issue

Oil filters and anti-drainback valves (was Re: [DML] The Motor Oil Issue)

> you are right on about everything that has to do with oil and
reading the
> weight lingo and such, but i think most owners are convinced that
the purflux
> filter is a better match to the engine than either Hastings or NAPA
Gold. Do the
> ones you use have an anti-drain back valve? if not, you could be
wearing your
> engine down every time you start it for just a few cents savings!!
i have
> never tried either of those two.
>
> Andy

The filters I use have the anti-siphon feature, however, they have a
by-pass valve. I prefer a by-pass valve and, since I use a "w" that
flows rather freely at cold temps I am not concerned about the by-
pass opening unless the filter clogged for some reason, which is
unlikely. I didn't mean to criticize the Purflux filter; it was just
not included in the tests I reviewed so I have decided not to use it.

The Hastings filter performed the best for conventional filters in
trapping the smallest contaminates in the tests I reviewed. There are
better filters in the specialty area such as Amsoil, etc., and the
cost is not that great if you have already bought into the synthetic
oil price level. However, I don't think that additional level of
protection is necessary.

Harold McElraft - 3354