Re: [DML] Digest Number 1820 Carbon buildup

Re: [DML] Digest Number 1820 Carbon buildup

I agree with David Teitelbaum that modern gas (and hotter running engines)
has reduced carboning problems, however, during my recent water pump replacement
I noticed that the intake valves and ports had significant carbon buildup and
looked horrible! The injectors were just as bad and I shipped them off to Rob
Grady who cleaned and tested them. I wasn't in the mood to pull the heads so
the carbon on valve stems and intake ports is still there. The oil consumption
is negligable.The Bosch spark plugs looked just right, light grey/brown and
no noticable electrode wear, but I replaced them with the same grade anyway
(copper tips). My assumption is that the carbon has probably been there since
the early 80's.

I am not about to run any Engine Top End Cleaner through this engine. I tried
it on other engines years ago and that was quite a spectacle -- like
Minnesota Mosquito Control was out pumping and the fog hung around the neighborhood
for quite a while! I am not much of a believer in miracle concoctions to fix
problems because in my experience they didn't do much good. (The exception is
Marvel Mystery Oil, but that is another story!)

Roger
Vin 1074