Re: Rack & Pinion determination

I agree that the rack and pinion is (if not the most) one of the most
important parts of the car. I would not be so upset to pay the 350-400
for a new rack if mine was in poor condition. The fact is that when I
examine my rack, it is discovered that there is very little wear on
the rack in the center. I am simply just trying to find what the
bearings cross reference to. When examining the upper bearing, moving
the 2 halves results in excessive movement-meaning that the balls of
the bearing are worn down, or the inside edges of the bearing are
worn. Comparing the balls shows that the upper bearing balls are a bit
smaller then the bottom. When I first opened the rack-it was lacking
fluid except for a few drips-this is why the top went bad-it was dry
and had a layer of dry muck on it. I believe if I can find this
bearing, the rack will be renewed-from there I can find out where else
it is worn, and only have spend a few dollars to see if this is the
problem instead of spending many for a new one. So if anyone knows
what bearing to ask for in a parts store, please let me know. Also,
how is the fluid held in this unit-does it run to the boots? Thanks guys.