Re: Lotus Esprit gearbox, same as the DMC

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, MichaelRPack1@xxxx wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Have an 89 Lotus Esprit gearbox, same as the DMC. Renault called it the UN1
gearbox.

> Here is a link that has some technical info about the Renault gearbox,
<SNIP>

In my search for transaxle upgrades, I too have run across this page. Beefing up the
input shaft is effective in it's goal, but probably isn't a good idea in the long run. Most
likely, the reason that the input shaft is prone to breaking under heavy torque, is
because it most likely was designed as a fusable link to prevent damage to the entire
gearset under constant strains and jerks.

One car builder in the UK had a website up for a project car that he built in '97, and
used the UN1/Rover V8 combination for his powerplant and drivetrain. Cranking out
around 500bhp, he stated that he never had a problem at all with his input shaft, 5th
gearset, nor any other associated components. I'm not a betting man, but I'd wager
that his finaldrive had the proper gear ratio on the differential to handle what the
motor was able to throw out to it. Which is the very problem that we have with our
transaxles.

Allot of the information on the 'net available in English is quite limited. Infact, I've
found that aside from someone's own journal entries about their personal experience,
the same info found is constatnly copy/pasted from one web page to another. If you
want to delve deeper into seeking more info, you gonna need to learn French and
German.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"