Re: DeLorean Door Seals...

This sounds like you need to trim the fiberglass flange down a bit
in the areas where the seal is being split. Some cars have a "tall"
flange on the underbody, and this can lead to overcompression of the
seal. You can trim off up to about a quarter inch, reinstall the
seal, and see if this problem continues. Careful not to trim so
much that the seal has nothing to grip to. One way to be a little
more "scientific" about it is to remove the seal, apply some lumps
of modeling clay to the door surface that normally touches the seal,
and then close the door. Then, open it back up, and measure the
clay thickness. I think that you will find that it gets very thin
in the problem areas, and remains thicker elsewhere. Simply trim
the fiberglass to get a consistent gap. Remember to let everybody
on the List know what you find, so that we can learn from your
experience.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "TalksToGod" <5n-@xxxx> wrote:
> My door seals seem to keep wearing out at the corner-where the seal
> runs from the top of the windsield and down the piller. This
happened now on both sides, as well as the rear corner from the roof
down. The seals seem to just split down the middle-I am wondering if
this is a door adjustment, or is this just something I will have to
deal with every time. My seals were new before this happens-what
gives?-#5003