Re: Lower Control Arm Links

Rich - That would be me and Winged1 (my car). As far as I know,
this is the only example of this mod. I wanted to find out what
effect a triangulated lower control arm support setup would have on
handling and stability during heavy braking. I am very pleased with
the result, although there is a little more road noise transmitted
through the links into the frame. They allow full range of vertical
motion in the front suspension, and yet do a great job of preventing
fore / aft motion during braking and in hard corners. They are kind
of ugly in prototype form. I used mild steel tube for the link
bodies, and some very hi-tech spherical rod ends. These links have
been on the car for over a year, and my last inspection showed no
adverse loading to the frame or the lower control arms. My next
version will use stainless steel tubes. I haven't yet decided if I
am going to promote this modification in a kit form ... I need to
work on getting some cost out of the rod ends before it would be
realistic to produce this setup. The original idea was to eliminate
the front sway bar function as a locating feature of the control
arms, but I haven't attempted to detach the sway bar yet to test the
concept. That way, the sway bar could be optimized for what it's
supposed to do, rather than doing double duty as a sway bar and a
suspension link. I am talking to a German bearing manufacturer
right now about a different rod end that would be nearly as good,
but at far lower cost. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> In Photos, under "Techie Stuff" you'll see someone has made links
for the lower control arms. Can someone tell me more about this? Do
many people have this mod? Is it a good idea? What does it do to the
handling of the car? Who did it?