Re: Re: Turn ignition key, and starter not activating

Re: Re: Turn ignition key, and starter not activating

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:42:41 -0000, "TalksToGod" wrote:

[snipety snip}
> I am not sure why my starter wouldn't engage with the gear
> stuck-it should have just freewheeled without meshing.

It's designed like that...
The solenoid first engages the gear onto the flywheel and
only then, ath the end of its travel engages the starter motor.

Just imagine how it would sound when you try to push a
fast turning gear into the stationary flywheel gear...
NOT good!

This design is also the reason that sometimes when a car won't start,
putting it in gear (on a manual only) and "bumping" it may result in
the next try actually starting the car! When the teeth of the gears
happen to catch on eachother the starter doesn't engage either,
"bumping" the car will caus e the flywheel to rotate, giving the
gears a new chance to "mesh".

Seasons greetings to everyone!

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different... Using a Mac...