Re: [DML] Digest Number 1800

In a message dated 12/21/2003 5:53:01 AM Central Standard Time,
dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bill Robertson) writes:
Some people claim Volvo "fixed" reported oil passage problems with
B28, but one of my factory manuals covering both blocks -- which goes
into great detail of differences in pistons, valves, and camshafts --
makes no mention of any difference in engine oiling system. I think
passages are the same. I also think many people who experience
lubrication problems simply failed to change their oil regularly.
I believe this is part right and part wrong.

After my first change of the camshafts the Volvo dealer service manager (a
real pro, honest, but subsequently fired) told me that I HAD to change the oil
every 3,000 miles -- in spite of the fact that the owners manual called for
5,000 mile oil changes. I am sure it was coincidental, but the new camshafts
lasted exactly 2984 miles before the cam lobes went out again. I still have the
receipts to prove it! Both the dealer, the Volvo District Rep and their US HQ in
Englewood, NJ refused to pay for the second replacement.

I refused to drive the car out of the dealership lot and as a result it sat
there for 5 months.
In the meantime, while I was on a trip to Sweden I called an old college
buddy who had been the service manager at Volvo North America for 3-4 years. He
gave me another name to call and after I had told that guy the story he told me n
ot to worry and gave me another name to call in NJ after I got back home. I
did after I returned home and a few days later my PRV engine had new camshafts
-- at no cost to me.

During the discussions in Gothenburg I was told that there had been three
changes since the introduction of the PRV engine: The heat treatment of the
original camshafts had been too soft, the oil pump had been changed to one with a
higher flow rate and some of the oil gelleys had been changed to better
lubricate the cam lobes. This is all history and should be of no concern to a
Delorean owner.

Imagine my chagrin when I was negotiating the purchase of my Delorean about 3
years ago and saw a Volvo PRV engine under the hood! I was "stuck" on the car
but sure as heck not on the engine, so I posted a message here about my
concerns. I don't recall exactly how many responses I had, but everyone essentially
said the same; that although they had heard about the early Volvo/PRV
problems, they had been fixed before the first engines were delivered to DMC.

I bought it and have been happy with it ever since -- except for the damned
water pump/distribution design, but that is another story!

Roger
# 1074