Re: [DML] Prototypes, legend and lore

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Benson" <delornut@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> It would be very interesting to know just how the
> DeLorean pilot cars ever got registered. Ford and the government >
> were very strict regarding our pilot cars and their eventual
> destruction.
>
> Bruce Benson

While it may be against the rules, what's really to stop a
manufacturer from just issuing a VIN plate to a pilot car? Since it
really is up to the manufacturer to destroy a pilot car, it's really
more of an "honor system" kinda thing. Nevermind any "foolproof"
system to prevent this from happening being in place. There just
isn't a system at all as I understand it.

Otherwise, is this an actual law from the DOT/NHTA/EPA That these
vehicles MUST be destroyed, or is it just a mutal agreement that
selling them to consumers is frowned upon?

Besides, perhaps this was a great way for the company to reward it's
executives without having to deplete their inventory that was to fill
the high backorder of cars at the time?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"