Re: [DML] QAC label with DMC logo

According to the United States Patent and Trademark
Office, DMCH owns registration number 2491848 which is
in fact a DMC logo.

However, the DMC logo that most people try to use (as
seen on the front of the car itself) is number 113096
and listed as "DEAD". According to an attorney friend
who deals whit this sort of thing, that essentially
means it is public domain.

I don't know which logo the QAC label used.

You don't have to believe what I am saying on the DML,
but you can look it up yourself at
http://www.uspto.gov/

The real trick is, a hobbyist making a few labels (or
models, or keys, or whatever) will probably not have
the means to enter a legal battle with DMCH.. One of
the downfalls of the US legal system, IMHO. I have
not heard of anyone challenging DMCH on ownership of
the logo. Anyone with a legitimate business reason to
do so is likely to not want to do anything to upset
DMCH (because they have a monopoly on many of the
parts required to continue doing business).

On a sad note, It looks like JZD's new car project may
not be doing so well, his registration for "DeLorean"
(number 76165416) in the font we all know is also dead
as of March 18, 2003. Looks like they did not care
enough to renew it... This by the way is the
lettering found on the back bumper of our cars, and
the hood emblem on 1982 cars.

Marc