Re: [DML] Re: Prototype

Dear David, or anyone:

I am going on ancient memory here, but I remember that temporary body stamping tooling was made from Kirksite metal for an initial run of Stainless sheetmetal parts. As I remember the story, there was a despirate need for outer sheetmetal for parading the cars out in the world and the production stamping tools were behind schedule. I think I remember the production dies coming from Porsche Works. I have a very early production car and have suspected it could have some of these Kirksite parts as the finish detail looks different and hand worked in places. I also seem to remember a reference stating that the Kirksite tools were made in the USA and the resultant parts were much better than expected, to the point that it was questioned if they could be made to last quite a long time. I seem to remember the statement that " if we had known how good the Kirksite tools were we could have saved the money of expensive production tooling until maybe 10,000 units." As remote as it likely is, could these temporary tools still exist? Did any of these parts end up in the production cars, or even lots of these parts? Could changeover in styling of the hoods equate to changeover in basic tooling? Could the original manufacturer of them tool up for left front fenders on an economic basis? Maybe a question for James Esprey to explore?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Don Ekhoff

David Teitelbaum wrote:

These "black" cars where probably assembled and disassembled several
times for the workforce to learn on and for the designers to check fit
and clearances. I would guess that most of the cars where finally
disassembled and the parts were used in the first production cars.
That is except for the plastic (or fiberglass?) body panels. Those
panels seem to have disappeared into history. It would be great if
someone could find a set of them!!!!!! Other parts that have
disappeared forever are the foam blocks and other protective shipping
that was put on the cars when they where sent to America. In that
sense you could say the first cars were prototypes, they have the
parts from the first 500 in them! IMHO that won't make them any more
valuable, any car with a vin after 500 is a production car. Now even
saying that, many of the early cars were never intended for the
public. Just look at the vin chronology and you will see many cars
were set aside for engineering, sales, promotion, executives, etc. You
could argue that a particular car that was built for a particular
person (especially a high profile person) may be worth more that one
made for sale to the general public.
David Teitelbaum