Re: Prototype

These "black" cars where probably assembled and disassembled several
times for the workforce to learn on and for the designers to check fit
and clearances. I would guess that most of the cars where finally
disassembled and the parts were used in the first production cars.
That is except for the plastic (or fiberglass?) body panels. Those
panels seem to have disappeared into history. It would be great if
someone could find a set of them!!!!!! Other parts that have
disappeared forever are the foam blocks and other protective shipping
that was put on the cars when they where sent to America. In that
sense you could say the first cars were prototypes, they have the
parts from the first 500 in them! IMHO that won't make them any more
valuable, any car with a vin after 500 is a production car. Now even
saying that, many of the early cars were never intended for the
public. Just look at the vin chronology and you will see many cars
were set aside for engineering, sales, promotion, executives, etc. You
could argue that a particular car that was built for a particular
person (especially a high profile person) may be worth more that one
made for sale to the general public.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757