Re: [DML] Toby Tabs

While I agree with your ultimate conclusion, my limted knowledge tells me this section is not quite correct. My basis in experience comes from spur gears - when you buy a spur gear, you specify the mod rating which tells you an amount of torque you can put through a gear of that rating before accellerated wear occurs. Below that point, and wear will be negligible. Toby's bolts also exhibit a strange strength curve relative to deformation - ie they get stronger as they start to bend.

Toby's tabs won't definitely bend, as long as they're kept tight (and in his own example, it was pointed out that the failure was in the washers, not the bolts, causing them to become loose). I believe as long as they're kept tight, they'll survive without bending, indefinitely.

It's also great to have my layman's suspicions concerning restricting the movement of the bolt end confirmed. Thanks!

Martin

mquinto@xxxx wrote:

The Toby Tab:
This bolt is a higher tensile strength replacement of the original OEM Bolt. They believe for example: instead of 10,000 cycles you might get 100,000 cycles. Meaning the Toby tab will bend over time like the originals but will last longer.