Re: "French" PRV

The PRV's poor reputation is only partially deserved IMHO. My feeling
is that the early versions had some design and manufacturing flaws
which can be overcome with a bit (a lot?) of work. One of the worst
flaws is the engine's propensity to leak coolant into the oil when
the cylinder sleeve seals fail. I have a strong suspicion that the
sleeves did not have enough protrusion above the block when these
engines were first assembled at the factory. This could contribute to
blown head gaskets also. The fix requires a full rebuild. Check the
sleeve protrusion. I bet its nowhere near enough even with the
thickest available seal fitted to the base of the sleeves. Cure?
Simple (relatively!). Have the block decks machined to achieve 9
thou protrusion with the thickest seal (yellow one) fitted. Only
needs about 3 thou or so taken off on average, so doesn't measurably
affect cam chain tension. So long as the protrusion is the same for
all 3 sleeves on each bank and they are square with the block and
each other, that *should* hopefully take care of any future concerns.
The other problem I have suspicions about is low oil pressure due to
faulty oil pump relief valve springs. My engine showed precious
little oil pressure on a gauge, but the idiot light on the dash
rarely came on. Geez, what are those switches set at, about half a
psi? When I disassembled the oil pump the spring was in 8 bits.
That's not a one-off failure, that's a badly made spring. Early V6's
were known for hacking up valve train components due to a lack of
lubrication. Haven't got proof, but my gut feeling is that the cause
could be primarily due to bad oil pump springs leading to oil supply
limitations to the top end of the engine. Don't know for sure, just a
hunch. How many folks would bother to routinely pull the oil pump
(not an easy job) just to check it out?
Otherwise (French design quirks excepted) its a nice little engine.
The later B280 version fixed the odd firing sequence by offset
grinding of the crank throws to even things up. Heads were modified
and given oil 'wells' for the cam lobes to dip into each revolution.
Cams were re-designed to give a bit more grunt and a little better
fuel consumption, the silly distributor position of the early
versions was altered. My B28 had covered over 200,000 km when I
pulled it apart due to the busted oil pump spring. The bottom end,
including the bores, showed virtually no wear at all. A quick 'glaze
break' and a set of new rings and bearings just to be on the safe
side and it should be good for another several hundred thousand km.
Hopefully :)
Our local machine shops and Volvo dealerships have never yet had a
B280 apart. Some of them must have accumulated pretty high mileage by
now. Must say something for the longevity of those engines I guess.
And for a V6 they are remarkably smooth. Considering the modest power
output, it'd be nice if the fuel consumption was a bit better though.

Cheers
Steve Abbott