[DML] Re: TOBY-TAB update

Kevin - With the original OEM bolts, the tensile stress caused by
the torqueing process is about 80% of the capability of the material
used to make them (less than 150,000 PSI). With the TOBY-TAB's
ultimate tensile stress allowable of between 245,000 and 248,000
PSI, the installation torque of 50 lb-ft is hardly noticed by the
bolt material. One caution with the self-locking nuts (and this is
true of ALL self-locking nuts) ... they will loose some of
that "lock" after multiple reuses. If the nuts get to where they
will turn freely on the bolt threads, it's time to get a fresh nut.
Watch out for those cheaper "nylok" nuts - some of them are made of
near grade 2 steel. Those nuts would strip out long before they
developed the capability of the bolts. I know that some people
complained about the nuts that I used in my kits, but they held
during the recent ultimate tensile test with no damage to the
threads. That was a 31,000 lb + load. Good stuff. Let me know if
you have any other questions. BTW - The third batch will happen.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.DeLorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "K. Creason" <dmc4687@xxxx> wrote:
> Q for Toby: it was said to be bad to re-torque the original TABs
(could cause more fatigue or something) is that true for the Toby
TABs? If so-- is there no maintenance method of checking and
securing the TABs besides a visual inspection (which can't see
squat) or replacing them (not an option since TTABs are not
available)?