Re: Squishy Brakes. Continued.

I don't always trust "power flushing" on all cars. I have tried
reverse bleeding, power bleeding, flushing, you name it, not every
method works on all cars. The one method that works on all cars
(except cars with ABS where there is a special procedure) is to have 2
people do it using the pedal and the other person bleeds one wheel at
a time starting with the left front, then right front, then left rear
and finish with right rear. It may have to be repeated several times.
Flushing doesn't use pressure, just flow. Doing it this way using
pressure forces the air out under pressure like the gas in soda. I
don't like using the one person bleeder, air can get sucked back in at
the bleeder valve, it is not an air tight seal. I can usually talk
someone into helping me for the 5-10 min it can take to do. I can also
inspect the hoses as I bleed so if a brake hose balloons under
pressure I can see it. This can cause "squishy brakes". More
accurately it is called "soft pedal". If you step on the pedal and it
keeps falling as you hold your foot on it, it is called "falling
pedal" and usually means a leak. Since you aren't adding brake fluid
you would have "soft pedal" which usually means air in the system
(works like a spring inside because the air is compressible) or the
other possability is a brake hose that has a weak spot in it and
bulges under pressure. A remote possablitily (you say you replaced the
master cylinder) is bad seals inside the master cylinder and the
pressure escapes back into the resovoir. If you have to add brake
fluid you have a leak no matter if you can see it or not. Check the
inside of the vacuum hose to the booster. Sometimes the seals fail in
such a manner that the brake fluid gets sucked into the motor (not
very common on Deloreans, more so on other makes). Since you say the
old fluid came out black you are probably due for a complete brake
rebuild. That black is particles of dirt, corrosion, and tiny pieces
of brake seals.
David Teitelbaum
vin 19757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx> wrote:
> Here is a bit more information to answer questions asked.
>
> System wasn't just bled, but was power-flushed until fluid was
clear, and all