Re: TOBY-TAB update

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> I think it was also discussed in the past that the bolt itself,
under
> normal movement, will pivot and the end of the bolt will move
around -
> and beng held captive by this bracket may either affect the
movement of
> the rear arm (and I for one think there MUST have been some reason
it
> was done in this apparently poor way - Lotus is not known for
making
> mistakes in this sort of thing!) or simply not work at all.
..

I, for one, disagree. Lotus may not be known for making mistakes,
but I don't believe there was a reason (at least not a mechanically
sound one) for the poor design of the Delorean trailing arms. It's
appallingly badly done, and has virtually no chance of not suffering
some kind of damage during normal use. I believe it's either a
mistake, or some compromise to save on manufacturing costs. If the
joint were meant to rotate in more than one axis, it should have been
a ball joint. A bolt subjected to bending and shear stress at the
same time, that's just bad form.

Rick.