Storage - Tire Info

While I was on All-Data this afternoon I noticed this Shop Bulletin
covering tire storage. Since I was ready to put my D away for a
while I found it interesting, especially since I have some fairly
new Michelins.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
ALL MODELS
STORAGE OF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES

High performance tires are typically made with nylon overlay that
enables the tires to achieve the designated speed rating and also
enhance tire handling capabilities.

Nylon material has memory retention and when stored for long periods
of time without movement, may flatspot. With this in mind, the
following steps should be taken to avoid flatspotting when vehicles
equipped with high performance tires are not used for periods of
time.

^ New vehicles should be stored with 44 psi in the tires. If the
vehicle is operated, the air pressure should be reduced to the
recommended operating pressure and then increased to 44 psi prior to
being placed back into storage.

^ All vehicles stored for periods longer than 30 days, should be
stored with 44 psi in the tires and be moved several feet at least
once during each 30 day period so that a different portion of the
tread contacts the ground.