Re: Brake Bleeder

Back in August, I built one of these, from the instructions that Dave provided,
and was able to build the device pretty cheaply. But I did take the liberty of
modifying, and improvingthe design for my use.

I can say for certain that with only 15psi max, doubling up on washers on both
sides is total overkill. Drill, and file out the hole in the cap evenly until the
threaded brass pipe slides in by press-fitting it. The washer on the outside,
and the RTV will do a fine job of sealing everything then.

Also, to avoid more work, and to make it easier to read the pressure gague, I
simply installed an extra "T" fitting on the top of the cap. I can now read the
gague easier, and I didn't have to drill the sprayer bottle. Also, if you use a tire
gague for the pressure gague, don't throw away the tire chuck. Hacksaw the
end off, file it down (concrete street curbs will smooth aluminum down with
little effort), and install it onto the inside of the cap, rather than using a nut.
That way, you'll now keep the fluid automaticly topped off whenever you
disconnect the adaptor cap.

Since flushing hydraulic brake fluid is *supposed* to be apart of bi-yearly
maintenace on ALL cars, the bleeding tool isn't one that you're going to use
once, and throw away (although I will be replacing the vinyl tubing after each
use). And, it is the best method of all to use.

When pumping the brakes manually, you run the risk of damaging both the
primary, and secondary pistons if you accidently bottom out the pedal. And if
contaminated fluid is present inside the master cylinder, dirt can lodge
between the seals. Plus, there is allot of room for user error if someone lets up
on the brake pedal too soon, or opens up the bleeder valves too soon. You
can suck both air and/or dirt back into the calipers. You can also have the
same problem with vacuum bleaders. And in both cases, you've still got to
stop frequently to keep refilling the reservoir, which increases chances of
sucking air back into the system.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"