Re: [DML] Replacing the solenoids?

In a message dated 11/26/03 11:22:37 AM Central Standard Time,
hispanicangeleyes@xxxx writes:

> Ok everyone. Today (Wednesday) I'm going to get the computer governor out
> of the car. While everything is dissassembled and all, should I take out the
> old solenoids as well? I mean, while it's all apart and all, might as well
> knock out 2 possible problem areas while the opportunity is available. I
> know without a doubt I'm going to have the C/G rebuilt, but how many of you
> think I should just have the solenoids replaced as well? I'm kind of curious as
> to what everyone here may think about that. I have no problem with it, but I
> want to make sure I'm not making an overly-cautious move. Please, once
> again everyone give me your opinions. Thank you everyone for your time,
> attention, and suggestions.
>
> Jeremiah
> Vin #03299

The solenoid is in a completely different place (INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION)
than the computer governor, so nothing is actually going to be 'apart' to make it
easier to change the solenoid. seriously, replace the computer first, and
THEN see what happens. from what i have read on the list (i have a manual
trans), the A/T is just as good as the manual save for the governor, and the
solenoid is probably just fine.

sometimes it is good to replace parts while you are really in there, but you
need to drop the pan and the valve body (or get good access to it) in order to
change the solenoid. that's way more work and incidental parts to replace
compared to the governor.

Andy