Re: Replacing the solenoids?

The solenoids don't seem to fail all that often. You could do a
continuity check to make sure they aren't grounded and do have
continuity. The resistance on both of them should be the same (I have
to look up what it should be but in any case they should both be the
same). If it shifts at all then you can assume they work. Late
shifting, erratic shifting, missing shifts usually indicate a
misbehaving shift computer. I would leave the shift solenoids alone.
The wires and the plug becomes brittle and you will have to replace
the "O" ring seals if you remove them. Change the trans fluid and
clean out the pan and magnet. Clean the filter as per the procedure at
DMCNEWS.COM. The less you do inside the better. I would recomend
checking ALL of the external adjustments though. Follow the procedures
for checking the fluid level in the trans AND the final drive. While
you are under the car inspect the output seals on the final drive and
the C/V boots(4). If any of the boots are cut or torn they should be
replaced quickly and the joints cleaned and relubricated. Minor
wetness on the output seals isn't bad but if it is wet and dirty then
you need a seal and possibly the output flange. BTW you can remove the
shift computer without touching the solenoid wires or plug on the
trans. You remove the 3 large brass hex nuts in the round plug on the
firewall, remove the metal clip holding the wire and leave the wire to
the solenoids in the car. Just make sure to note which color wire goes
to which terminal.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes@xxxx>
wrote:
> Ok everyone. Today (Wednesday) I'm going to get the computer
governor out of the car. While everything is dissassembled and all,
should I take out the old solenoids as well? I mean, while it's all
apart and all, might as well knock out 2 possible problem areas while