Re: [DML] Car Covers

In a message dated 11/22/03 9:53:09 PM Central Standard Time,
louie@xxxx writes:

> I think a lot of owners on here forget that some people live in the South.
> We don't have snow... we never see road salt. Thus we can and *DO* drive our
> cars year round. We don't put our cars into storage in the winter, and the
> need for garages is less down here. For some perspective, I was out driving my
> car with the A/C on in 75 degree sunny weather today... and it's late
> November.

Point taken, and no intent to offend on my part about a lack of garage space.
we northern owners are probably just jealous that we can't drive our cars
year-round.

what i was incredulous of was why someone would choose to buy a car cover
(not a carcoon) to keep a car outside during snow and ice storms all thru the
winter. for the amount of money you save on cancelling liability and collision
insurance during the non-driving months, you can rent a self-storage garage or
a space in a warehouse to keep it safe, covered, and minty-fresh for your
return in springtime. this year i found a place for only $30/mo which is even
climate controlled. i could have gotten a place for $90 for the entire winter
but i wouldn't be able to get the car out before a car show in late march next
year. otherwise, you can get self-storage in prices ranging from $45-$75 a
month, depending on how early you call about them (start in early oct.). most of
these places have a light bulb in the garage which is easily converted into an
120V outlet with a powerstrip for some late December car work, as well as
24-hour access and security patrols.

leaving it outside during the winter is a great way to give rodents and other
creatures a free place to find shelter, with or without a car cover.

just my 2 cents!

Andy