Re: square pockets below the internal water pipe

Re: square pockets below the internal water pipe

The "trash" you found in there is the remains of the coolant that
leaked from the distribution pipe seals and hoses. Under the right
conditions it can eat right through. After cleaning out thourghly you
could paint the "pockets" with Glyptal. It is a heavy paint type
product used primaraly on electrical windings in motors and
transformers. Custom engine builders coat the insides of engines and
trasmisions with it to seal any pores in the castings, make it easier
to clean, and to allow the oil to drip easier. You can get it in small
quantities from Eastwood. Try eastwood.com The main thing is to find
and fix EVERY leak, even the ones you can't see. If your coolant level
goes down and you have to keep adding then you have a leak even if you
don't see it on the floor. It leaks onto the top of the engine into
the "pockets" and is boiled off so you never see the leak. The trash
is the solid portion of the anti-freeze which is the additives. Before
putting the intake manifold back on put the coolant system together
and pressure test to 15 psi for 15 min to make sure there are NO
leaks. If you aren't using the silicone hoses behind the water pump
get the best hose clamps you can and really crank on them because you
can't get in ther to retighten them later (better to use the silicone
hoses, then you don't have to worry). Check out your radiater. Look
carefully at the tank on the left side. ANY sign of green stains or
white crust means it is getting ready to leak, the plastic tanks have
been known to blow right off. Replace EVERY hose including the heater
hoses. A leak in any will cause a loss of coolant with the result
overheating the motor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757