From: Soma576@xxxx [mailto:Soma576@xxxx]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 9:09 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: idle yet again

In a message dated 11/15/03 3:00:33 PM Central Standard Time,
doctorDHD@xxxx writes:

> My car, 6530, idles irregularly and at 900 - 1200 with both the idle
> speed screw and the ECU screw out all the way. Am I screwed up?
>
> Dave and 6530

what is the idle speed screw? What is the ECU screw? are you referring to
the primary idle speed screw (not used since there is electronic idle
control on
this car). the first screw (closest to the mixture unit) should be lightly
closed. the other two are balancing screws for the left and right banks
(also
not used). you should close all three screws and then continue tuning. it
might just be the problem, since you are not allowing the idle speed motor
fully regulate air flow at idle when the screws are open.

idle is electronically controlled and is not setable, per se. you can
increase idle speed by changing the position of the throttle stop screw, but
in a
stock engine, it should be screwed down about 1/4 turn from the point where
the
throttle closes by itself w/o a stop screw. the stop screw keeps it from
binding up or getting damaged. you should not be playing with this screw
other
than to set it at precisely that point. when it is screwed in too far
(raise
the idle), you are allowing air to get past the butterfly plates, again
bypassing the idle speed motor and not allowing it to do its job properly.

some discussion in recent weeks have pointed to a good use of the three
brass
idle screws to help smooth out the idle, but do not try this until
EVERYTHING
is 100% perfect. you don't want to introduce more variables while fixing a
problem!

Andy

moderators@xxxx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews