Re: What to do about hole in frame...

It should be cut out and have a patch welded in. You should assume
that most of the frame is load-bearing in some way and should be
fixed properly. Bolting or riveting a patch in a structural area is
not generally an acceptable repair. Riveting can be strong if done
correctly (not pop rivets) but it just creates even more pockets to
hold moisture and rust again.

He's right, it's thin sheetmetal and the welder will have to know
what he's doing. The key is find a good welder. It's like welding
normal automotive outer body sheet. Afterwards both sides of the
weld need to be coated/painted.

Another point - I've NEVER run across a car, DeLorean or no, that has
a half-dollar-size hole rusted in it anywhere without there being a
lot more rust in other areas that you just haven't found yet. Keep
looking. Especially inside the front crossmember between the lower
control arms, the front spring towers, under the steering rack etc.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supermattthehero" <supermatty@xxxx>