Re: idle yet again

You will never get it to run smoothly and at the correct speed unless
you have complete control over the engine's air. You must fix all the
vacuum leaks first before you get the engine to idle correctly. The
throttle arm MUST be stopped by the set screw hitting the plate. Then
adjust the other set screw to activate the idle switch. The idle
switch MUST NOT take the full force of the throtttle linkage or it
will break. You might have to clean the throttle plates and air
passages especially if there was a lot of leakage which brings in
dirt. The throttle plates should be stopped by the set screw before
they hit the sides of the air passages hard but they should be fully
closed also. Then you can adjust the idle micro so it clicks and then
just a little bit more. The entire throttle linkage should move
smoothly without sticking and the springs should return everything to
idle every time. There should also not be much play in the linkage so
you have the maximum amount of control. You can also check that you
get full control ie: have someone hold the accelerator pedal all the
way down. While they hold it there you look to make sure the throtle
plates fully open and the throttle spool activates the W.O.T. micro.
Sometimes the carpets or floor mats prevent this and sometimes the
pedal linkage bends so you don't get the full travel.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757