Re: First Checkup

Some of the more expensive things to look for are the things "under
the surface" so to speak. Check the frame for rust, any parts on the
suspension that look bent, the wiring for being "hacked up" the engine
compartment for "wrong" non-Delorean parts, the brake and clutch fluid
(if thick and dark it means you will be rebuilding soon) even wear on
tires (nothing bent or out of alignment if even) coolant leaks
(radiator and water pump) dents or dings in the S/S, the doors open
and close evenly and smoothly, no cracked, scratched, broken glass,
motor should start easily and run smoothly. Some missing parts can be
expensive to replace. Try to look over the service history or repair
bills to see how it was cared for. Even if some things don't work some
are easily fixed and not expensive. Cosmetic issues can be done but
some things are expensive like the seats, dash, and headliners. Check
the motor oil and the type of oil filter (it should be a blue perflex)
if it isn't it gives an indication of the type of care the car was
given. A Delorean vender would only use a Perflex filter. Check the
air in the tires, it gives a sense of how the owner treated the car.
The pressures are on a label on the glove box door. There is a shop in
Garden Grove, Ca. If you go to the vender websites you can find an
inspection sheet you can use to evaluate a Delorean. Go over the title
paperwork very carefully. There MUST NOT be any disceptancies between
the vin #'s on the car and the title. Sometimes a carfax report is
useful. You can also call the Delorean vender the P.O. took the car to
and ask about the car's history (if they took it to a "D" shop). Find
a local owner and ask if they would help look the car over for you,
they might point out things you would not notice.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757