Re: [DML] New DeLorean owner; first technical question

Re: [DML] New DeLorean owner; first technical question

In a message dated 11/12/03 8:38:03 PM Central Standard Time,
hispanicangeleyes@xxxx writes:

> Can anyone give me a "guesstimate" of a bill I may be looking at? Thank
> you all for your input; I have owned her for 24 hours now to almost the exact
> minute, and I'm trying to get her roadworthy. Hopefully, this will be the
> step that gets her on the road.

You would be much much much better off doing the work yourself by reading the
manuals and doing appropriate system tests. I am writing a two-part article
in Gullwing Magazine about explaining the entire fuel and idle systems, the
first article is in the next issue to be mailed - not only that, but the shop
manual explains everything pretty clearly.

why should you do it yourself?
1. you will not save time (well, probably won't) but you WILL save money
2. you will gain important experience and first-hand knowledge of how the car
works
3. you won't have to worry about your so-far-good shop cutting corners just
to get it running and out of the bay if they wind up NOT knowing what is wrong.

to service the fuel system, all you need is a fuel system pressure tester
($90), a multimeter with ohm and DC test, a decent metric tool set with wrenches
size 8mm - 19mm, similar size sockets w/ 3" and 6" extensions, a 4-6 piece
screwdriver set, and a set of metric allen wrenches. a dwell meter ($30) comes
in handy too, as well as a timing light with advance.

with all these tools, you should be able to fix whatever is the problem
yourself. right away i would check for vacuum leaks and test your fuel system
pressures. from there, possibly a problem with the CPR (not hooked up properly)
or fuel routing. when you hit the gas, you are either flooding it or choking
it.

we are here to help. you will be much more pleased if you get to the bottom
of this yourself. perhaps now that winter is on us, you can decommission the
car for the season and go through everything yourself?

Andy