Re: [DML] George Barris

Randy,

I have had a run in with George Barris last year.. He tried to rent my car and claim that it was the original BTTF car. Supposedly, he claims he bought one of Jay Orbergs original cars and it caught fire and was destroyed. When I told him that I would not participate in fraud, he threatened to tell Universal studios about my car. I told him, go ahead, they already know about my car! He hung up at that point.

Virtually, all of the cars Barris claims he has are actually other peoples cars. e.g.. the Ghost Buster car is owned by a guy in upstate NY. The Monkey, was built by a guy in Penn. the new bat mobile is owned by a guy in OK. His "General Lee" car at Volo has no interior and is a fake.

George gets away with doing this because he buys licenses from the movie studies for $20,000 per year to advertise their movie cars. The studios don't really care where the cars come from or even if they are original, it is publicity they want and Barris does the advertising. This is why Barris gets away making the claims that he does.

However, his fakery recently caught up with him in Florida. A car museum closed in Orlando and sold off the cars that were there. One of them was a "Barris -original Batmobile" A guy bought the car for $110,000 thinking is was the original Turned out to have a 1972 Torino frame underneath so it could not have been the original car from the 1966 series. He sued the auction house, the car museum owner and Barris.

Barris gave the guy his money back and the guy even got to keep the car. Barris claims that he never said it was the original Batmobile - just a Batmobile. However, the advertisements at the Car museum claimed it was the original batmobile.

97 Delorean Time Machine - Not the Back to the Future Original Movie Car.!