possible fuel pump failure?

Whilst driving home from work this evening my car
started to make a very load buzzing/humming sound that
started out quietly and got louder and louder till i
could easily hear it over the radio.I have since found
that the fuel pump is buzzing its little head off.The
reason I suspect the fuel pump is gone is because when
I was backing into my drive way the car stalled.It
started again no problem but then died again.It did
this several times again before i got it in the garage
and the pump was still buzzing loudly.
Do these symptoms sound like a fuel pump failure or
something else?
Thanks
Andrew
VIN 2883