Re: idle problem solved and thanks

The "underlying problem" can often just be age, and there's nothing
you can do about that.

John Hervey often reminds me that these setting in the book are for a
perfect engine, in other words "like-new" or with little wear. They
are -ideal- and might not -exactly- apply to a 20+ year old engine.

Engine wear, a little vacuum leak here and there that you don't have
access too can change all that and you'll find yourself compensating
in ways that may go against the manual. All you can do is get as close
as you can and follow the procedures as exactly as the engine will
allow. Especially once you're replaced everything you can.

Mike never called or wrote to tell me his initial cold start up
surging was also cured by this. I was really curious about what would
happen. I'm glad it worked out. ;-)

In hindsight, it could be that his idle regulator is indeed getting
sluggish. I've only been here a year and I've heard of 2 guys who's
idle regs had failed. 3 if you include me!

It may be worth putting my new one on his car for a test...

The day was beneficial for me as well because his car runs WELL. He
let me put my foot into it and it really moves. That said, I finally
got to see what proper dwell meter behavior looks like for the fuel
distro setting and I was able to set mine to the same place. Needless
to say, I was waaaaaaay off. (too lean)

I'm pretty lucky to have a fellow owner so close by to compare notes
with and one who's a good friend to boot.

Rich