Re: [DML] Victimized Monster Garage Delo - Very long, but concerns many

Re: [DML] Victimized Monster Garage Delo - Very long, but concerns many DMLers Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:27:58 -0400

Hello everyone!
I feel that I should say something after all the hate mail I got after
posting on this subject. At first it seemed that noone agreed with my
coments about MG, but after the show... well, there weren't too many people
happy with what they saw. Here's my answer to some of the mail I got and
some comments about other posts on this subject.

Hank, #1619 wrote:
Lawsuit? On what grounds? Please, let's be serious here for a second, and
I'm not even a lawyer. They didn't do anything illegal - they acquired a
car and made some modifications, even if that including destroying it. I
don't think you can claim "pain and suffering" either. You'd get laughed
out of court so fast it wouldn't even be funny. And what good would it do
anyway? The car is already gone... you're not going to get it back. And
sending hate mail isn't going to do much either.-------------
*I don't think I would get laughed out of court. Not in this country. Lets
not forget that this IS America's favourite sport! My idea for a lawsuit was
to say that they destroyed a classic car that there is a limited number of.
Not my "pain and suffering", but pointless destruction of a CLASSIC car. AND
I didn't want to get any money from the Discovery Channel. I was thinking
about them paying the money to some classic car museum or some classic car
restoration club. How about them investing in "Car is Reborn" with DeLorean?
You get the idea.

Dave Boboc wrote:
A lawsuit? Over a car?! I think your priorities are a little screwed up.
Come on, say it with me: IT'S..JUST..A...CAR... ---------------
*Maybe you are right, maybe my priorities are screwed up, but there weren't
too many people happy with what they saw. If you think that it is JUST a
car, why do you like this car so much? There is something about that car
makes people like it a lot more than JUST any other car.

Jack Stiefel wrote:
Come on now. It has been a year and that's all you came up with? I think
it is great for our cars to have so many TV spots. How about the El Camino
they bought and chopped up on MG? That was a cherry car and they just
destroyed it. Do you want to sue Universal Studios for destroying several
cars for BTTF? How about Rich for the D-Rex, Hover Car, Convertible? Maybe
we can start a class action suit against them and throw in the double engine
"D" and all painted "D's" just for good measure. That way no one would
ever modify another DeLorean again. What grounds would you like to sue
for?--------
*Yep, it took me a whole year to come up with this! I'm slow.
To be honest I didn't think about Rich's ideas until I saw the program. In
my opinion it's different when someone modifies their own car. People want
their cars to be... well, like no other, to be what they want. And that is
ok with me. It's a different story if you destroy a classic car for no good
reason other that to be on TV and make some money in the process. I lost all
respect for Rich and Don! BTW, I have the same opinion about people who take
DeLoreans apart just to sell the parts and make money.

John, 4275 wrote:
Hey, at least now your DeLorean is worth more....-------
*I seriously doubt that! Mine lost a lot because of this show.

David Teitelbaum, vin 10757
Someone famous once said "I don't care what they say about me as long
as they spell my name right" or words to that effect. The point is
that the publicity is the main thing. As upsetting as this eposode may
be to some it WILL generate interest in Deloreans in general and that
is a good thing. In the long run people will forget the details and
just remember that there was a Delorean hovercraft on the show. You
have to remember that this show is purely for entertainment purposes
and to do that they do whatever they think will get them the highest
ratings and viewer attendance. From all this controversy I think they
succeded!-----------------
*I have to strongly disagree with this! 95% of people that know anything
about DeLorean is that the car was made using drug money, or that it was
made just to smuggle cocaine into the country (yes, I got a coment like that
twice now), or that the DeLorean factory was used for laundering drug money.
EVERYONE thinks that John DeLorean was a major drug dealer and they hope
that he is still in jail. People forgot all the good things and all that is
left is the association of DeLoreans with cocaine. Then of course there are
questions like "where's your flux capacitor" which for some reason I seem to
get more and more in recent days.
The only comment about the MG that I got so far was on a day after the MG
aired. I only got one comment so far because I didn't drive the car since
that day. The comment was at a gas station, some guy that was filling up his
Cadillac SUV (not some trash!) looked at my car and said: "why don't you
make that f***en thing into a hovercraft? maybe then it will be worth sh*t".
Thank you, but this kind of recognition is absolutly the LAST thing that I
wanted after all the cocaine comments that I get.

To sum up, I am not against modyfing a DeLorean! Not at all. As a matter of
fact I'm modyfing my own car. Sometimes I'm even against using OEM parts. A
good example would be shock absorbers. I would never use 22 year-old shocks
on my car. I like my car to be "mine". I like to have things that I need or
like. Things that I consider as improvements. If you don't like the
instrument cluster in your car, change it! Change it to something that will
let you enjoy the car even more! If you think that the car doesn't have
enough power, change it! Install turbos or install a different engine. BUT
please, don't destroy DeLoreans for no good reason! The reason behind the MG
was NOT a good reason. Some say that it is a good thing that there is less
and less DeLoreans out there because the remaining cars are worth more... I
myself don't care how much my car is worth. It is not for sale, so the value
is not important. I would prefer if it didn't go up, because I don't want
the prices of parts to go up.
I'm against destroing DeLoreans and I'm doing everything that I can to save
them. I saved a couple of cars myself! This applies to all classic cars, not
just DeLoreans. Cars that have more than just monetary value... those cars
cannot be replaced!

How about seeing a DeLorean on "Car is Reborn" with Mark Evans? He restored
a Jag. Now, that was something I really enjoed watching. And I would love to
see a DeLorean being reborn. THAT is something that would give us the
positive recognition that we need. That would let people realise that
DeLoreans are not so exotic and that parts are still available. And last but
not least, that would raise positive interest that we so much need and
values of the cars. I myself enjoy creation much more than needless
destruction!

In my opinion if someone is just looking to make money or for a way to get
on TV, look somewhere else and stay away from fine automobiles!

Lets not destroy any more DeLoreans!
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (saved)
previously vin 6298 (saved)