Struts - compressed

Let me clarify what I said. (If I'm wrong please feel free to say so) When your door is closed for long periods of time the gas strut is compressed instead of being in the fully extended position. I have assumed from posts over the years that this shortens the life of a strut. Is this a fact? Some have said that leaving the doors up will help to keep strut life longer.......but with strut prices lowered it's a pretty moot point as well as not too practical keeping your doors up during storage!!

I assumed that the compressed state (doors closed) would make for a higher pressure in the strut....how else would it want to push the rod out back to an extented state if the pressure doesn't rise when compressed? It seems to makes sense that the strut has a higher pressure when compressed so that when the door is opened it starts with a higher pressure on the piston and as it starts to extend (and the door rises) the pressure decreases as the strut reaches the end of it's travel. Some have dampeners in them that slow it down at the end so the door will not go up fast at the end. This is probably helpful for those living in year round hot climates. If the strut is compressed the gas must also compress which would raise it's pressure. IF.....that is how struts work and are designed.....I honestly don't know. If the strut is compressed for months on end during storage would the strut seals possibly loose their effectivness faster? Again, just an assumption and possibly a widely held belief. If the recent thread of struts lying on their side means that seals are not lubricated all around is correct, would that be a more contributing factor to short strut life than open or closed?

Can anyone refute this or give us a better explaination of strut design and function? I hate to continue a belief in something if in fact I am wrong. Enlighten me.

Tom