Re: [DML] Seeing what's out there

If you're smart and patient you can find a nice "driver" DeLorean for that price range. The key is educating yourself about the cars so you know what to look for, and being able to hold off on buying the first one you see. I remember I wanted so badly to buy the first DeLorean I looked at. It was a gorgeous 1 owner car with 6k miles... cosmetically flawless. I could have walked away with it for less than $12k. Luckily I had made some friends in the DeLorean community, and drug them along to check out the car. The truth was though the car was beautiful to the eye, it was deteriorated badly from sitting for many years. That's the irony of these cars... they still look so new and modern... but they're over two decades old now.

What I advise you (and all perspective owners) to do is read the DML for at least a year before you purchase. During this time go to as many DeLorean meets as possible... big or small. Meet as many DML members as you can in your area, and look at as many potential car buys as possible. By familiarizing yourself with the car you begin to learn what to look for in them, and what is a good and bad deal. You learn your preferences in the cars as well.

I'm in the market right now for my second DeLorean. If you've read the list for a while, I was hit by a drunk driver in my DeLo about a month ago, and it was a total loss. I'm looking at buying a car in your price range... $15k-$20k. There's a total variety of cars in this range... garage queens that have been sitting for years with major mechanical issues, daily drivers with some cosmetic wear, but are good mechanically good, and finally there are cars that are a good comprimise of cosmetic looks and good running condition. Those are the hardest to find, but if you're persistent, you'll track one down. Good luck in your road to ownership, and remember that us list members are here to help you in any way possible.

Louie Golden
VIN- Coming Again... if insurance ever pays me... lol

--- "cyboexpo2002" <paul.mari@xxxx> wrote:
I've begun browsing what's in my local (as in NY, CT, MA) area. I'm
pretty sure I'll be a couple years before I'm actively looking, but I
figure that way I learn about the market a bit more...
Anyway, I see a lot of Ds on for around the $15-20k range. I'm trying
to get an idea of what kind of condition that would get me...though
from the pictures I immediately notice things like ripped seats and
demaged headliners (but this is I guess normal for a car this age).

Basically, I was about wondering any input you guys might have about
buying. (There's always that chance that I might be able to free up
some cash)

On a side note, I hear that I'm lucky since PJ Grady is pretty close
by here (relatively). Well, I found out some interesting info the
other day. Apparently, they were planning a bridge across Long Island
Sound that would lead me almost directly in the direction of PJ
Grady's in the 70s and 80s.
http://www.geocities.com/cyboexpo2002/too_bad.txt
Build that bridge! Seriously though, any tips, etc would be greatly
appreciated. $20k is a sizable chunk of change, and I want to know,
in general, how much of a car this'll get me. Thanks!

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>